The "water bug" a work in progress...

Discussion in 'Everything Else in Montana & Beyond' started by d4570, Dec 8, 2015.

  1. d4570

    d4570 Active Member

    Man I'm back on track with this thing I'm calling the water bug.
    Still no hull or prop but a step closer.
    I'll get some pictures up later.
    My Fabricator FINALY called me and said " your flywheel drive is finished. You want to come and get it ?" Man are you kidding , it's been over 2 months and most the work has stopped till I get the drive on and can get some measurements. I replied Very calmly sure I'll swing down and pick it up. With out even tying my shoes I grabbed the closest jacket and was at his shop in a little over 5 minutes.
    Remember the first shop I took it to wanted $500 and the next one said Lets start at a grand and see where it goes from there!!! I gather up the motor, and the new drive and asked over my shoulder, well How much ?
    He kinda grimaced and said what do you think of $220, I had around 2 1/2 hours in it . I had my Visa out and in his hand before he finished the sentences...

    While I was with out a drive I did get a Tack, oil presser, and head temp gauges and had them all hooked up.
    Changed the oil and screen, flywheel seal, and exhaust manifold gaskets changed. I also put hooks on all corners of the motor to lift it with a winch.

    I have been in contact with the prop people too.
    There recommending a 62" two blade, prop.
    The pitch depends on the rpm witch I did not know till I get the drive on and running and they will match it to what ever hub I come up with.$450 and $35 freight.
    Hub I'm going to with a Mustang front spindle and hub, old one before FWD and Disk brakes.

    I'm going to make the entire motor/drive/prop/seats, and all the controls in one Modular. That way I can set it on ANY hull. We will start with the boy's mud boat hull and see what we want.

    I still can see a catamaran hull and that th way I'm planning on going
     
  2. d4570

    d4570 Active Member

    I have the "Cat's " ordered .
    Well the 5052 .100 Aluminum anyway.
    The Metal people will do the cutting and bending too
    I'll have some welding to have done but my Fabricator said he would do nit for around $100
    The main peace's I'll glue and rivet together.
    I end up with two floats 11 feet long by 25" wide .
    With a little math I think it should displace enough water to float 1200 pounds in 3" of water.
    I plan on sitting in the cats one on each side and only have the motor and prop/drive on the deck.
    ?????
     
  3. Nightstrike89

    Nightstrike89 New Member

    updates on your build?
     
  4. d4570

    d4570 Active Member



    I flipped the Waterbug hull bottom side up to work on the hulls.
    I added some more bridging and cross support.


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Then I took some 20 gauge cold roll and bent it to shape and added a small trim tab to the bottom and back of the hulls.
    The cold roll is to help stop sharp ice/rocks and it slides better then Aluminum. The lip is to "Brake" the water like a drip edge on your roof.



    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I'll add three ,four inch by 1/2 inch hdpe plastic to each cat to make it slide even better .


    [​IMG]

    I'll paint the aluminum with a rubberized paint before permanently attaching the sheet. Then I plan to coat the cold roll with "Gaiter Glide" before the plastic to make it slid as easy as I can.
    One day I'll put a motor on this thing...D
     
  5. Nightstrike89

    Nightstrike89 New Member

    that's great progress. nice work! is gator glide better than poly?
     
  6. d4570

    d4570 Active Member

    It is a two part epoxy, Sticks like mad and is incredibly slick .
     
  7. d4570

    d4570 Active Member

    The VW motor is officially attached to the Hull !!!!
    I have been fabricating a motor bracket and starter mount .
    WOW lots of cutting and fitting But it looks just like I envisioned and
    seams to work .
    I have to be able to adjust the " attitude" of the motor 'drive.
    I still have to make the "Adjuster" on the front.
    It will consist of a one inch ,by three inch bolt and nut on a rubber pad
    To move up and down and then a locking plate to hold it in place .
    That's next.
    THEN finally I can start the drive/hub/prop.



    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    devon flyfisher likes this.
  8. d4570

    d4570 Active Member

    Man I was "Blowing air "today
    I had the prop on and running the motor.
    The drive mount is not welded yet so I kept the rpms down
    under the 3100 max for the prop.
    Seams to be working.
    I have a wooden 2 blade prop That I'm going to sell.
    I'll use my 3 blade composite prop.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  9. Looking good D
    Cheers
    Richard
     
  10. d4570

    d4570 Active Member

    Thanks.
    One day before I die I hope to have it going.
     
    The Guide likes this.

Share This Page