The Forum & Photo Gallery at Big Sky Fishing.Com
Forum | Photo Gallery | Montana Web Cams | Explore Montana | Scenic Drives

Go Back   Big Sky Fishing Forum > The Montana Lounge > Montana Hunting Lounge
User Name
Password
Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Default Camping Generator

How many of you have Honda generators for camping or other activities? I am looking at picking one up as they are smaller and quieter than my current generator. What are your opinions of them?

Jay
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM

I don't own a Honda mostly because of the cost. The Hondas are easily 3 to 5 times more than brand X and probably worth the extra $s. I don't know for sure. I can replace my "Generac" 1850 watt for around $400, maybe less. A Honda used 2000 watt I looked at was $600 and I don't know how "well used" it was. My Generac has about 250 - 300 hours on it and works just fine. It has a four stroke Kawasaki engine, quite compact and quiet and pretty fuel efficient. It also comes with jumper cables and a 12 volt converter plug in. I don't know if it's Forest Service approved.
If you are camping with a generator, the biggest thing to look for is how quiet is it? Is it "Forest Service Campground Approved" both for noise level and spark arresting exhaust and will it fill your needs? Look at the wattage of the things you expect to run on the generator before you decide. Mine was meant to run a few lights, TV and keep the refrigerator and freezer cold during power outages.
Generators are like insurance. Just sitting there until you need it really bad and then you find out how good it really is.
If you have the money I would go for the Honda for sure because there are dealers every where and replacement parts shouldn't be a problem. Not so with my Generac.
I'm sure you will get plenty of responses from people with more experience and knowledge than me. Just do your home work.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to D4570

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHelfrich
How many of you have Honda generators for camping or other activities? I am looking at picking one up as they are smaller and quieter than my current generator. What are your opinions of them?Jay

The boy has a small one and just loves it.Cheep to run and VERY quite. He "camps" all summer long( spring and fall too) for work and it runs almost every day not a problem for the last three years. In the morning before he goes out to fight fire he starts it up and lets it run till it runs out of gas. The 3 battery's are charged when he get back . Fills it back up , about a quart, and runs the Micro,TV, and heater sometimes. I don't know how many hours that is but its a LOT!!! It always starts and is still as quiet as it was when he got it. He says he WILL get another IF he ever has to...
take care of him;
better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford
Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 AM

http://www.yamahagenerators.com/EF3.../ef3000iseb.htm

This is the one I'm holding out for. LOL I will add a remote start to it when the purchase is made.

Honda makes some nice smaller ones but this is the one that i was told to buy over there 3000 as it has a boost and the AC on bigger RV's need that when they fire up. Might be smoke blowing around but one wouldnt want to buy a new AC unit.LOL

The little 1000 and 2000s look Pretty good if your not running a pig of an AC. Stryker
Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM

So.....

We ended up buying a brand new popup pickup camper. Got a Real Lite SS-1606 SB by Palomino. See camper here... This should make camping and fishing a whole lot easier as I can now make one trip with the boat and camper and not 2. Previously we had to do one trip for the Red Dale and one for the Crestliner. Pain in the butt for trips over 100 miles one way. The generator we have for the camp trailer is a larger and louder 3000 watt unit. For charging the batteries on the boat and the camper as well as using a microwave and a electric skillet, a smaller 2KW inverter style unit would be easier on my back and take up less space. We picked up this unit... see generator here... for MUCH less online that we could get it locally. Like several hundred less than a 1KW unit was! I ordered it today and it came with free shipping (2nd day) so it should be at my house when I get home from work. I will give an additional review after I use it for my 3 week vacation!

Jay