Forum | Photo Gallery | Montana Web Cams | Explore Montana | Scenic Drives

Go Back   Big Sky Fishing Forum > The Montana Lounge > Montana Hunting Lounge
User Name
Password
Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to D4570
Default 17 hmr vises 45/70 government

Why is it when we talk about the 17 we say it's BLAZING fast,tack driving,hard hitting ext. Then when the 45/70 is talked about we say its, Slow and lumbering,lobing shells out to see where they hit.I just got some 17 shells and was looking at the specks on the box. The 17 gr are going only 50 fps faster than my 300 grain Gubberments.At 2550 fps the 17 do fly but my LUMBERING rainbow arcing 300's are going 2500 fps,are they Flying too? As for tack driving I can put them in to the same hole at 100 yards and there is very little wind drift compared to the 17. Heck the more I think about it Why did I even but the 17's today I should be just using my 45/70, the gophers don't mind at all...
NOW WHERE TALKING!!!!
take care of him;
better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM

Wink 45-70 vs .17HMR why did I buy .17 HMR

Reasons why
#1: Recoil
#2: Recoil
#3: Recoil
#4: Cost. .17 HMR box of 50 rounds- $8 - $10?
45-70 box of 20 rounds - $50 - $100?
#5: Availability of ammunition.
#6: Noise level.
#7: Range of travel of richochets and possible danger in the far, far distance.

And mostly,

#8: Gopher and prairie dog communities already have enough big holes in the ground for cows and horses to break a leg in!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbend
Reasons why
#1: Recoil
#2: Recoil
#3: Recoil
#4: Cost. .17 HMR box of 50 rounds- $8 - $10?
45-70 box of 20 rounds - $50 - $100?
#5: Availability of ammunition.
#6: Noise level.
#7: Range of travel of richochets and possible danger in the far, far distance.

And mostly,

#8: Gopher and prairie dog communities already have enough big holes in the ground for cows and horses to break a leg in!

i see im not the only 1 that just can not stand all the over kill and recoil for shooting something the size of tennis ball lol
plus a cpl shots from 1 of those big guns can only lead to some bad habits like the flinches also. the 17 is a bit on the light side for the longer shots with those light bullets the tend to have to much wind drift. i use a 221 fire ball for all the longer shooting out to 600 yrds. even on the 221 i have a muzzle brake so i can see all the action down range
Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 AM

I had to Google the 221, never heard of it until i read it here, you learn something new everyday.
Cheers
Richard
Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 AM

I can remember the first time I seen a 45/70 shell. It was a key chain my Mother Inlaw got for me, Some 20 some years ago.

The first one I shot was at a range in Cali. Where I met an older gentleman that seen me shooting my 9mm that I bought myself for my 21st B-day.

He come over and asked if I wanted to try his gun out. It was a thompson center fire. Sure I did.LOL

Started out with a 410 shot gun shell that he called a street sweeper. I knew I liked him already. HEHEHEHE

We went through a few different rounds and ended up with the 45/70 after the 30-06 and Call it what you will. 14-16 in Barrel and that 45/70 hit 12 inch paper at a 1000 yards. Was even rolling with a broken thumb, and didn't want to shoot any of them.

That was back when Clinton was put in office and I was young and eager to shoot!!!

moral to that story is, That is how D got his Name here BIG GUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone that don't like his toy that he enjoys can KICK ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Shoot it like you OWN it BIG GUNS. Stryker
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks I DO !!!
In fact I did just yesterday. I shot 15 times and confirmed 12 dead Gophers at around 100 yards...
take care of him;
Henry Ford
Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM

[QUOTE=stryker]I can remember the first time I seen a 45/70 shell. It was a key chain my Mother Inlaw got for me, Some 20 some years ago.

The first one I shot was at a range in Cali. Where I met an older gentleman that seen me shooting my 9mm that I bought myself for my 21st B-day.

He come over and asked if I wanted to try his gun out. It was a thompson center fire. Sure I did.LOL

Started out with a 410 shot gun shell that he called a street sweeper. I knew I liked him already. HEHEHEHE

We went through a few different rounds and ended up with the 45/70 after the 30-06 and Call it what you will. 14-16 in Barrel and that 45/70 hit 12 inch paper at a 1000 yards. Was even rolling with a broken thumb, and didn't want to shoot any of them.

That was back when Clinton was put in office and I was young and eager to shoot!!!

moral to that story is, That is how D got his Name here BIG GUN!!!!!!

not sure anyone ever stated they hate 45-70's
what has been said was there are much better ways to shot small game and save money on the high cost of ammo these days.
by no means is a 45-70 a money saver for all day shooting out on the prarie
for what that 45-70 used just in power in 15 shots i can shoot my 221 40 times. that adds up by the end of summer.

im sure everyone likes to play some times and use some of there bigger guns for a cpl of shots like that. but why use them for varmits and waste all that money on reloading when there are so many nicer rounds for that job
Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM

I guess it's my money..
No where did I say if it was the cheapest to shoot or even TO shoot it. Just saying Fast for one may be slow for someone else... Thats all, I thought it would be a FUN topic.
take care of him;
Henry Ford
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 PM

Default 45-70 vs .17 HMR

My brother used to own a 45-70, .444 and other large bore lever rifles. No doubt about, they will do what they were meant to do.
One day we were hunting antelope in eastern Montana. Standard rifle was a 6.5 Remington Magnum. We drove out on a bench that over looked about 5 miles and we spooked a herd right under us with a huge buck. Of course they left in a hurry. While I was trying to figure how to get in front of them to get a shot my older brother got out of the truck, tilted the seat forward and removed his 45-70 from a case. Hmmm. I could only wonder what the hell he was up to.
The goats were a good 1000 yards off and running. I had seen him make some awesome shots but not this!
He raised the rifle and sighted for a minute. The barrel was tilted about 40 degrees in the air. He touched her off and turned and put the rifle back in the truck......

Bet you thought this was going to end in an impossible shot didn't you?

Well that huge slug kicked up a great cloud of dust out in front of that antelope herd and they swapped ends and came running right back to us with in 200 yards.
No we didn't get him but it was a lesson learned for a 13 year old kid.