The Forum & Photo Gallery at Big Sky Fishing.Com
Forum | Photo Gallery | Montana Web Cams | Explore Montana | Scenic Drives

Go Back   Big Sky Fishing Forum > Montana National Parks > Glacier National Park
User Name
Password
Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Administrator

lol, nope. I did the ride up to Logan Pass from Avalanche Lake in the Spring...before they open the road to traffic. I'm not sure if I'd want to do the trip once traffic is on the road, though...although in the fall traffic dies down dramatically.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Default I would be coming/going up from Apgar or thereabouts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
The ride is harsher from the West side than it is on the East side (due to the lower elevation of the park's western side). 3.5K vertical rise from the West...2.5K vertical from the East.

You're looking at around 14 miles of uphill riding from the West Side...about 10 Miles from the East side. Not sure of the exact grade %, but it is relatively steep, although it's also "steady"...aka, no sharp grades followed by shallow grades.

Allow 3-4 hours to get from Avalanche Lake Campground to Logan Pass, although it can be done in a bit less time if you're a Lance Armstrong type.

Check park plans on road closures. The last few years, the Park has been closing the road early in the fall for road repair. Be a bummer to show up only to find the road closed!

Thanks for the comments all. I will check it out better when I get there. I have been to GNP many times and hiked only. While I am no Lance Armstrong, I am interested in "testing" my limits by trying this ride. My guess is that I will have to walk the bike at some point as I have never climbed a mountain via a bike before. Still, I want to take a shot at it.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Default Closing comments...

So, I landed and was pumped about the whole trip. Had it planned.

Northwest lost my bag.

I ended up wasting time and effort trying to buy shoes, etc. and ended up biking up Big Mountain in Whitefish instead.

I got caught in a pretty good snow and had to bail near the summit. Came back the next day and the snow was still on the trail.

Good times.

Thanks all for the help and weather reports. It is much appreciated. I will be back to Montana in a month or so, right after the snow runs open.