The Forum & Photo Gallery at Big Sky Fishing.Com
Forum | Photo Gallery | Montana Web Cams | Explore Montana | Scenic Drives

Go Back   Big Sky Fishing Forum > Montana National Parks > Yellowstone National Park
User Name
Password
Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2004, 09:12 PM

Question Fishing locations?

Where would be the best rivers to fish that are inside of the Yellowstone National Park?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Default Favorite River in Yellowstone

Hmm...that is a good question. I guess my two favorite rivers would be the Madison River and the Gallatin River. The Madison River is best fished early and then again late in the year. during the summer it is often closed due to warm temperatures.

The Gallatin River, though, is generally always open all year. The scenery is gorgeous and the river is just beautiful. Since I like "spring creek" type fisheries, I love the Gallatin River in YNP. The river, though, is exceptionally narrow and small - it really is more of a spring creek than a full-fledged river when in Yellowstone. See the pictures I have of it in the Yellowstone National Park section of the site.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/River-...aphs/index.html

and a few more pictures...

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Nation...latin_river.htm

Hope this info helps a bit.

Last edited by Jim : 12-14-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:37 AM

Default lamar

Mr. Arkansas,

If you really want to get in touch with the wildness of the park, I'd take a few nights up the Lamar river. You may have to zigzag around herds of buffalo, wait out thunderstorms in the shelter of the forest, and most certainly have to hang your food far from camp, oh and bring some earplugs if you're a light sleeper - so you don't have to wonder what is tiptoeing around your tent in the middle of the night (HA!). But the fishing and the experience will never leave your memories.

If you like a few more people around or are based out of your vehicle, Jim's information is perfect.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Default Earplugs

Hi JohnO,

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
and bring some earplugs if you're a light sleeper - so you don't have to wonder what is tiptoeing around your tent in the middle of the night

What a splendid idea! I'll have to tell other people that one.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:50 PM

Default thanks

Thanks Jim,

Personally, I want to know what is tiptoeing around the tent, but I remember my then stepmom and stepkids on that particular trip with the earplugs. Another time up in the Beartooths at Albino Lake, my then stepsister was unloading her pack and out came the curling iron. Can't to this day think of a practical use for that in the Beartooths, except to possibly ward off a marmot attack. Or a very short, very fast-action, one piece flyrod. Pretty funny though!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:48 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasfisherman
Where would be the best rivers to fish that are inside of the Yellowstone National Park?

Arkansas guy. I've fished Jellystone waters for many years. My favourites are Slough Creek. Hike up past the ranger cabin . Great waters! Fish the lower stretch from Lamar up to the campground. Kill all rainbows! (well not all!)

Soda Butte is great too, below canyon. I like to hike down into the Gardiner . No crowds. The Yellowstone from Knowles Falls down to town is great. Look out for bears!

Grampy